Reading is out of this world, and we look forward to trekking through a “Universe of Stories” June 1 through August 31 during our summer reading 2019 program. The Library’s summer reading mission is to encourage children preschool through high school to shoot for the moon and spend at least 20 minutes a day reading and exploring galaxies far, far away through books.
- A free three-month program at all library branches that encourages babies, children, tweens, and teens to read, or be read to, at least 20 minutes every day throughout the summer.
- Adults also can participate for free by completing any 20 activities on an adult summer reading game board and returning it to the Library to win a prize and an entry into the grand prize drawing. Adults can complete extreme challenges for more grand prize drawing entries.
- Dozens of free events are offered at the Main Library all summer long for all ages.
THE IMPORTANCE OF SUMMER READING
- Studies have shown that children who read during the summer generally maintain their reading skills and that children who see their parents read, or who read with their parents, generally score higher on standardized tests.
- Reading is important for everyone in the community, regardless of age, and reading is a skill that grows with practice. It’s free, easy to do because you read whatever you like at your own pace, and it’s a fun, easy, zero-risk way of showing your support for the public library and its services.
READING LOGS & GAME BOARDS
Youth reading logs can be downloaded HERE. Reading logs are also available at all library branches. We ask that children and teens register for summer reading by visiting any library branch in order to receive their registration bag. Adult game boards can be downloaded HERE. The last day to turn in reading logs and game boards is Saturday, September 7.
Calendars can be downloaded below and are also available at all library branches.
- Children (infant—entering grade 6) Summer Programs Calendar
- Teen (entering grade 7—graduating 12) Summer Programs Calendar
- June Adult Programs Calendar
- Registration is open from June 1 through August 31.
- Babies, children, and tweens: Pick up a registration bag in the Children’s Department or visit one of our branches.
- Teens: Pick up a registration bag in the Teen Zone or Children’s Department or visit one of our branches.
- Adults do not have to register for summer reading but can download a game board HERE or pick one up at any library branch.
- Youth: Write down or mark with a sticker each day you read 20 minutes or more (at least five days a week all summer long). Bring your reading log back to any library branch at the end of each month to pick up that month’s prize as well as a grand prize drawing entry. You can earn up to three grand prize drawing entries.
- Adults: Complete any 20 activities on your game board and return it to the Library to win a prize and an entry into the grand prize drawing. Complete extreme challenges for more grand prize drawing entries.
- There will be a grand prize drawing for kids, teens, and adults in September.
YOUTH PRIZES (while supplies last)
- JUNE: Summer Reading T-Shirt
- JULY: Book
- AUGUST: Book
- GRAND PRIZE: $50 Gift Cards
ADULT PRIZES (while supplies last)
- COMPLETION PRIZE: Pocket LED flashlight
- GRAND PRIZES: A pair of astronomical binoculars and a WyoMovies gift card
“A Universe of Stories,” Summer Reading 2019, is sponsored in part by the Natrona County Library, Natrona County Recreation Joint Powers Board, local McDonald’s restaurants, Serendipity Ice Cream, Cluck It, and Casper Horseheads.